How to Get the Most from Massage Therapy
By Helen Bhavnani, Registered Massage Therapist
Massage therapy offers many health benefits. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of a massage treatment.
- Do the stretches, or other self-care activities, that our awesome massage therapists (Helen, CJ, Sam or Lois) give you at the end of your treatment. We give these exercises to you because we want you to feel better longer!
- Ask questions. If you’re unclear about anything, please ask us to clarify. If you think of something after you get home, call or email us especially if you are not sure about how often you should be coming for treatment.
- Come more often. Sometimes we can’t properly treat you in only one session. You will often feel better after one treatment, but find that soon afterward you go back to feeling aches and pains again. This means the underlying cause is not fully resolved. So like anything, give it a little more time. If massage is not helping your condition, we will always refer you to someone who we think will.
- Give us feedback. If you want us to change something about the way we do your
treatment, if you’re not comfortable with something, or if you feel it would be more effective if we did something differently, please tell us. You know your body best. We want you to have the best experience possible, and it’s your treatment. We are there for you!
- Hydrate. Before and after a treatment it’s a good idea to drink plenty of water to help the body flush out waste that has been mobilized by the massage.